Stephen Maurice Graham Illustrator
Clients include The Sunday Times, Vice, Time Out New York, Creative Review, Little White Lies, The V&A, EasyJet & GQ Magazine.
As I was about to sit down to do some illustration work today an unseen spirtual force traveled from the future and leapt straight into my svelte, toned body, and then slithered down my brainstem skidding past my eyeballs before setting off down my throat and squelching out a polite “Hello”.
I could tell by the voice that it was me. Me from the future obviously. We got to talking and I eventually asked myself “What do I look like in thirty years then?” and was all excited to see the results. My future self got to drawing and this was the result:
After I finished crying, my future self left (He said he had to rush off to sign on for his dole). I went into my bedroom and looked at my svelte, toned, tanned body in the mirror and repeated the vow “I will never be that man” over and over, in between mouthfuls of Ice Cream and painkillers.
This was produced for the h’award winning Irish music blog Nialler9 to help promo the rather fantastic monthly podcast Niall puts together over there - check out the blog yourself, it brings together music from this fair isle and the best of the rest of international new music. Also the latest podcast has some really great tracks on there, the new one from HEALTH is really top.
Niall also tells the tale of how this image came into fruition, and he’s spot on, it was indeed inspired by a crazed, metal loving taxi driver who wanted nothing more than to rock out to AC/DC and tell me that all the music I liked was sheeeite. The podcast should see to him then.
Besides this great bloggin news, I also have a big backlog of stuff that I’ve done for other people out there but can’t show it for a week or so yet, so stay tuned for further music related illustration coming up!
Well here it is, the new Nialler9 podcast illustration, I really like this one and by a happy turn of events I think this could be my favourite music lineup on the new podcast, just give the first track a listen by the excellent Tune-Yards (not doing the weird caps un caps thing with their name since I’d risk a hernia) and see if you aren’t squiggling in your chair by the end of it. Even my mum likes it apart from ‘the bits where she’s yelling but I like the doo doo doos’
1. TUnE-yArDs – ‘Bizness’ – w h o k i l l
2. Dum Dum Girls – ‘He Gets Me High’ – He Gets Me High EP
3. No Monster Club – ‘The Last Bottle In The World’ – Young Guts Champion EP
4. Earth Girl Helen Brown – ‘I Wanna Do It’
5. Thee Oh Sees – ‘Ruby Go Home’ – Help
6. Star Slinger – ‘Baby Mama’ – Bedroom Joints
7. Lone – ‘Rissotowe 4′ – Emerald Fantasy Tracks
8. Ghostpoet – ‘Us Against Whatever’ – Peanut Butter Blues And Melancholy Jam
9. White Lies – ‘The Power & The Glory’ (Bibio remix)
10. Solar Bears – ‘Cub’ Keep Shelly In Athens remix
11. Abner Jay – ‘Royal Palm’ – One Man Band
12. Julianna Barwick – ‘Prizewinning’ – The Magic Place